Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY)
DDUGJY is one of the flagship programmes of the Ministry of Power which will facilitate 24x7 supply of power in the rural areas. The scheme was launched by Prime Minister on 25th July 2015 in Patna. It focuses on feeder separation (rural households & agricultural) and strengthening of sub-transmission & distribution infrastructure including metering at all levels in rural areas. This will help in providing round the clock power to rural households and adequate power to agricultural consumers. The earlier scheme for rural electrification viz. Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY) has been subsumed in the new scheme as its rural electrification component.
DeenDayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) background:-
- Insufficient electricity supply :- Rural areas of the country face insufficient electricity supply, consequently, the distribution utilities are forced to resort to load shedding, thus affecting the power supply to both Agriculture and non-Agriculture consumers.
- Increase in power demand:- The demand of power in rural areas is increasing day by day due to changing consumer base, improving living standards for which augmentation of rural infrastructure needs to be regularly undertaken.
- Weakened distribution companies:- The investment in the distribution network is low due to bad financial health of the distribution companies. Therefore, in order to augment the reliability and quality of supply distribution network needs to be strengthened.
- To improve the commercial viability of power distribution, there is need for metering of all categories of the consumers.
DeenDayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) Objectives
- Electrification to all villages:- To provide electrification to all villages.
- Feeder separation:- Feeder separation to ensure sufficient power to farmers and regular supply to other consumers.
- Improve distribution network:- Improvement of Sub-transmission and distribution network to improve the quality and reliability of the supply.
- Metering to reduce the losses.
- Scheme has an outlay of Rs 76000 Cr for implementation of the projects under which the Government of India shall provide Grant of Rs 63000 Cr.
- A total of Rs 14680 Cr worth projects have already been approved out of which projects amounting to Rs 5827 Crs. have been approved for Bihar state.
Benefits from the Scheme
- All villages and households shall be electrified.
- Increase in agriculture yield.
- Business of Small and household enterprises shall grow resulting into new avenues for employment.
- Improvement in Health, Education, Banking (ATM) services.
- Improvement in accessibility to radio, telephone, television, internet and mobile etc.
- Betterment in social security due to availability of electricity.
- Accessibility of electricity to schools, panchayats, hospitals and police stations etc.
- Rural areas shall get increased opportunities for comprehensive development.
You can also go through other Government Schemes launched in recent times by BJP Government which would be very helpful for the preparation for UPSC, State PCS and other Government Exams:-
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)
- Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana
- Make in India
- Atal Pension Yojana
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Udaan Scheme
- Digital India
- Skill India