Jal Shakti Abhiyan to be launched in 255 Water Stressed Districts
Jal Shakti Abhiyan
Government of India has initiated the Jal Shakti Abhiyan to ramp up rainwater harvesting and conservation efforts in 255 water-stressed districts from July 1, in line with the government’s promise to focus on water. The campaign would follow the model of last year’s Gram Swaraj Abhiyan, where central officials monitored the implementation of seven flagship development schemes in 117 aspirational districts across the country.
Jal Shakti Abhiyan features:-
- Campaign Coordination:- The campaign would be coordinated by 255 central IAS officers of Joint or Additional Secretary-rank and 550 Deputy Secretary-level officers, drawn from various ministries.
- Support from scientists & NGOs:- Scientists and IITs would provide technical support, while national NGOs would aid in community mobilisation. State- and district-level officials would also join these teams on the ground.
- Time period:- The campaign would run from 1st July to 15th September in States receiving rainfall during the south-west monsoon, while States receiving rainfall in the retreating or north-east monsoon would be covered from October 1 to November 30.
- Conservation plan:- Block and district-level water conservation plans would be drafted, and Kisan Vigyan Kendras would hold melas to promote better crop choices and more efficient water use for irrigation.
- Coverage:- Overall, 313 blocks with critical groundwater levels would be covered, along with 1,186 blocks with over-exploited groundwater and 94 blocks with low groundwater availability.
- Awareness of campaign:- A major communications campaign on TV, radio, print, local and social media would be carried out, with celebrities mobilised to generate awareness for the campaign.
Jal Shakti Abhiyan Objectives:-
- Accelerate water harvesting,
- Conservation and borewell recharge activities already being carried out under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee scheme and
- The Integrated Watershed Management Programme of the Rural Development Ministry,
- Restoration and afforestation
- Progress would be monitored in real time through mobile applications and an online dashboard at indiawater.gov.in.
You can also go through other Government Schemes launched in recent times by BJP Government which would be very helpful for the preparation for UPSC, State PCS and other Government Exams:-
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)
- Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana
- Make in India
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
- Atal Pension Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Udaan Scheme
- Digital India
- Skill India