RRB NTPC Job Profile ( Goods Gaurd )
Job of a Goods Guard is somewhat strenuous in nature that he has stay in his brake van during the entire run where no basic facilities are given. Nowadays the situation has slightly improved with the running of 8 wheeler Brake van. Brake vans are not lit during night and the train may wait in way side stations long hours sometimes for crossing/precedence of Express trains. The nature of the job is compensated by allowances of which the important one is Running Allowance. You are paid Running Allowance based on the monthly kilometers on the run.
- Job Profile Description : Guard is the in charge of a running train. Goods Guard will be in charge of a goods train. His duties include .
- Get the vehicle guidance (VG – written document containing numbers of wagons, their tare weight, load tonnage of individual wagons, total tonnage) from Station Master/Yard Master.
- Check the entire formation for anything that can endanger safe running of trains.
- Check the brake continuity with Loco Pilot.
- Sign the Brake Power certificate(BPC) after ensuring sufficient brake power
- Constantly monitor the formation on the run for any abnormalities.
- Prepare train reports like Combined Train Reports, Late Arrival Reports...
- Attend along with LP/ALP minor troubles experienced on the run like brake binding etc.
- Shift : Yes. You will never have a fixed time of work. You will always be on the run.
- Career Path :As an Goods Guard you will have the following career path
- Passenger Guard
- Express Guard. OR
- Passenger Guard
- Section Controller
- Chief Controller
- As a Guard you can also attempt LDCE exam for Group B Gazetted post of Assistant Operations Manager(AOM).
- Salary and Allowances :
Since the job is highly extraneous in nature, with no fixed timings, you will be given an additional ‘RUNNING ALLOWANCE’ as additional compensation . The salary and allowances are as follows:
|(i)||Pay Scale||5200 - 20200|
|(iv)||Total Pay (i) + (ii )||11360|
As an Goods Guard you will be entitled to the following major allowances:
- DA on Total Pay above plus the running Allowance
- Running Allowance: This allowance is paid on the basis of monthly kilometers on the run.
- Transport Allowance
- House Rent Allowance(if not provided with quarters)
- Allowance in Lieu of Kilometrage (ALK): Paid for being deployed in nonrunning duties. Currently paid at the rate of 160 kms per day for outstation duties and 30% of basic pay for duties on headquarters. Besides running allowance they also receive a number of general allowances that’re paid to running station
Other facilities provided include:
Residence : All railways employees, including goods guards, can stay with their families in gated colonies and societies of Railways. These societies are often built in the nicer parts of towns and are well-maintained with greenery, pools, tennis courts and bungalows.
Medical facilities : Facility of receiving treatment in Railways’ Hospitals remains available to them and their families. Like their colonies, these hospitals are well maintained and well stand.
Traveling Facilities : A 2nd Class ‘A’ Pass is issued to Goods Guards that they or their family members can use to travel in AC-3 tier of any train except for Rajdhani/Duronto/Shatabdi etc.
- Vacancies Details : Vacancies for the post of Goods Guard for respective RRBs Are:
|Name of RRB||PU||UR||SC||ST||OBC||Total|
Gen- 3964, SC- 1229, ST-665 OBC-1721