From Plassey to Partition: A History of Modern India by Sekhar Bandyopadhyay is an ideal book for UPSC aspirants. The Battle of Plassey is said to be one the pivotal point in deciding the fate of India as the battle proved East India company as victorious and displayed the weakness and lack of unity among Indian rulers. Thus this decisive battle established colonial power over Indian subcontinent. Students who are preparing for UPSC/IAS, and other government exam such as IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, SBI PO, SBI Clerk, RBI Grade B, SSC Graduate Level Exams, Bank PO and Clerk, NDA, CDS, Railway, RRB, SSC, Bank, SSC CGL, TGT, PGT Exam, Airforce, NDA, Navy, CDS & Many Other Competitive Exams may refer to this book.
Content of From Plassey To Partition: A History of Modern India by Sekhar Bandyopadhyay
- From Plassey To Partition: A History of Modern India begins with the disintegration and downfall of the Mughal Empire and the parallel rise of the British Empire in the Indian subcontinent.
- The book offers an insight into the minds of the Indians under the British rule and their struggle for freedom as it gained ground after the Rising of 1857.
- The book is unique in its approach towards presenting the problems of Indians under the British rule.
- It gives a detailed account of their conflicts, cultural and social changes, their fight for freedom and the acceptance and adaptation to modernism brought in by the foreign rulers.
- From Plassey To Partition: A History Of Modern India presents the entire history of the British dominion over India through the various struggles and rebellions of the Indians, the rise of Indian leaders and politics, the Partition that led to the creation of Pakistan and finally, Independent India.
- The entire account has been presented in a unique way by Sekhar Bandyopadhyay, who has provided the readers with different perspectives and sides to the entire struggle for Indian freedom.
- The book is divided into eight parts which are as follows:-
- British Empire in India,
- Emergence of Indian Nationalism,
- Transition of the Eighteenth Century
- Early Indian Responses
- Early Nationalism
- Many Voices of a Nation
- The Age of Gandhian Politics
- Freedom with Partition.
The book also provides 5 maps of India at various times to offer a better understanding of the geography of the time.
About the Author:
Sekhar Bandyopadhyay is a professor and Director at New Zealand India Research Institute. Sekhar Bandyopadhyay has published several books and many articles in his field. Caste, Culture and Hegemony: Social Dominance in Colonial Bengal, Caste, Protest and Identity in Colonial India: The Namasudras of Bengal 1872-1947 and Caste, Politics and The Raj: Bengal 1872-1937 are his other books.
Recommended Books for Indian History and Art and Culture for IAS and other competitive Exams
- India’s Ancient Past by R.S. Sharma. (Ancient History)
- History Of Medieval India by Satish Chandra. (Medieval History)
- History Of Modern India by Bipan Chandra. (Modern History).
- India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipan Chandra. (Modern History)
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania. (Culture)
- A Brief History of Modern India – Spectrum (Point wise notes for faster reading).
- The Wonder That Was India – A.L. Bhasham. (This book is helpful for Culture, go for it if you have time)
In This Blog We Are Providing You Rajasthan History Printed...
In this blog, we will provide you IGNOU BA All Complete...