Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (SBA) or Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) or Clean India Mission is a campaign in India that aims to clean up the streets, roads and the infrastructure of Indian cities, smaller towns, and rural areas.
- The campaign was officially launched on 2 October 2014 at Rajghat, New Delhi by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- It is India’s largest cleanliness drive to date with 3 million government employees, school students, and college students from all parts of India participating in 4,041 statutory cities, towns and associated rural areas.
- The mission includes ambassadors and activities such as national real-time monitoring and updates from non-governmental organizations (NGOs) such as the Ugly Indian, Waste Warriors and Swachh Pune (Solid Waste Collection and Handling) that are working towards its ideas of Swachh Bharat.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Summary:-
- The objectives of Swachh Bharat include eliminating open defecation through the construction of household-owned and community-owned toilets and establishing an accountable mechanism for monitoring toilet use.
- Run by the Government of India, the mission aims to achieve an Open-Defecation Free (ODF) India by 2 October 2019, the 150th anniversary of the birth of Mahatma Gandhi, by constructing 12 million toilets in rural India at a projected cost of ₹1.96 lakh crore (US$30 billion).
- The mission will also contribute to India reaching Sustainable Development Goal Number 6 (SDG 6).
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Objectives:-
- Improve Quality of life:- Improve quality of life in rural areas.
- Sanitation coverage:- Accelerate sanitation coverage in rural areas to achieve the vision of Swachh Bharat by 2019.
- Motivation and awareness:- Motivate Communities and PRIs promoting sustainable sanitation facilities through awareness and health education.
- Sanitation in Schools & Anganwadi:- Cover the remaining schools not covered under SSA and Anganwadi centers in rural areas with proper sanitation facilities.
- Technology:- Encourage cost effective and appropriate technologies for safe and sustainable sanitation.
- Community managed sanitation:- Develop community managed environmental sanitation systems focusing on SLWM for overall cleanliness in the rural areas.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Eligibility Criteria
Construction of Individual household Latrines for BPL families and Identified APL families
ALL BPL families not having a toilet and have not received benefits under the scheme in the past. Identified APL SCs/STs, small and marginal farmers, landless labors with homestead, physically handicapped and women-headed households have not received benefit under the scheme in the past.
Not having toilet (Govt. schools)
Institutional Toilets- Anganwadi
Not having baby toilet runs in Govt. building and also in private building
Community Sanitary Complex
Places in the GP where
Beneficiaries not having space to construct the toilet at home.
Provision of Revolving funds for beneficiaries
For APL families other than identified APL families, incapable of investing the initial amount for construction of toilet
Solid and Liquid waste Management
Depending upon the no. of household in the GP varying from 150, 300, 500 and above 500
IEC, Start Up Activity & Capacity Building
For all Gram Panchayat for awareness regarding demand creation, construction and maintenance of toilet
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Benefits
Up to 5%
Individual Household latrines (BPL & Identified APL)
Community Sanitary Complex
Solid and Liquid waste management
Rs. 7.00 lakh - Rs.20.00 lakh
IEC, Start-Up Activity & Capacity Building
5 % at State level
How to Get Benefits of the Scheme
Incentive is transferred to Beneficiaries account directly after the construction of Toilets at Taluka level.
You can also go through other Government Schemes launched in recent times by BJP Government which would be very helpful for the preparation for UPSC, State PCS and other Government Exams:-
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)
- Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana
- Make in India
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
- Atal Pension Yojana
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Udaan Scheme
- Digital India
- Skill India